Neuroscience Portfolio Lead
Neuroscience Portfolio Lead
Org Marketing Statement
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues are working together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Each position at Pfizer touches and contributes to the success of our business and our world. That’s why, as one of the global leaders in the biopharmaceutical industry, Pfizer is committed to seeking out inspired new talent who share our core values and mission of making the world a healthier place.
A scientific leadership role with a major focus on entrepreneurial approaches to ensuring translation of exploratory science platforms into enabled drug discovery projects from early target identification programs through to clinical development. We are seeking an individual able to effectively engage and legerage multiple partners across the Neuroscience Research Unit (NSRU), business units and with external collaborators. A primary responsibility will be to ensure effective execution of drug discovery programs as a Research Project Leader to deliver portfolio goals in a self-driven and dynamic approach. The individual will also be a critical member of the Neuro-Opportunities group, evaluating in-licensing opportunities and creating an “internal CNS biotech” within the NSRU, taking advantage of internal and external resources to drive portfolio value.
- Major focus on enabling successful drug discovery programs arising from target biology and an understanding of fundamental disease mechanisms.
- Manages internal programs as Research Project Leader.
- Successful candidate should be able to manage interactions across a broad range of disciplines relevant to drug discovery, including chemistry, high throughput screening, pharmacokinetics and metabolism, statistics, and safety pharmacology. Ensures that projects are conducted using best practices as developed within the NSRU.
- Enables portfolio delivery by ensuring that scientific strategy and resources are aligned with program milestones; drives both timely and rigorous progress of projects. Ensures that projects are in line with business goals of the NSRU. Ensures that project teams connect effectively with Pfizer business units to understand and drive medically meaningful drug discovery.
- Develops scientific strategy for new programs entering the portfolio and ensure strategy for existing programs is updated as new data and science emerges.
- Advance and deliver on projects from ESD to POC.
- Deliver new targets, projects, and POC substrate into the Neuroscience portfolio.
- Partners effectively across the NSRU. Interacts with Department Heads of Psychiatry & Behavioral Disorders, Neuro-degeneration & Neurological Disease, and Integrative Neuroscience & Circuitry, Neuro-Informatics, Clinical and corresponding laboratory heads in each Department. Directly interacts with laboratory activities in preclinical drug discovery. Interacts closely with the Neuroscience Portfolio, Strategy and Communications group to ensure alignment for overall portfolio deliverables. Liaise with Pfizer biotechnology units (Rinat, Global Biotherapeutics Technologies, Vaccines, Covex, and Center for Therapeutic Innovation) to exploit the full range of therapeutic modalities for CNS targets.
- Evaluates external in-licensing opportunities and collaborations. Supports the Neuro-opportunities group in the evaluation of in-licensing opportunities including working with due-diligence teams.
- Makes recommendations to the operations group concerning investment in external opportunities based on scientific evaluation of the projects.
- Ensure portfolio enhancement through prosecuting on tractable projects that “follow the science”
- Identifies academic collaborations that supplement in-house efforts to advance pipeline projects. Evaluates and supports academic collaborations and industry-academia grants.
- Help establish effective collaborations with academic institutions and patient groups
- May be tasked with evaluating, with clinical teams and business units, the repurposing of existing compounds in the NSRU portfolio that have been shown to be safe in the clinic.
- Partner with the Head of Neuro Opportunities to build a model of an “internal CNS biotech” leveraging Pfizer expertise to execute.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• PhD/MD or equivalent in Scientific Discipline such as neurobiology, neuroscience, or psychiatry
• Competency in leadership skills
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
• Demonstrated track record of delivery on successful drug discovery programs and development of scientific strategy required for execution.
• Deep knowedge in neuroscience biology with a focus on neuroslogy and neurodegeneration.
• Experience with drug-discovery/development project leadership
• Track record of working effectively in multidisciplinary teams.
• Ability to effectively facilitate meetings with scientific partners and ensure alignment with Neuroscience RU goals.
• Documented ability to understand, drive, and demand scientific rigor.
• Exceptional operational thinking coupled with strong organization skills.
• Demonstrated success in negotiating the environment of a highly matrix-based organization.
• Excellent communication skills and competency in leadership skills.
• Possesses a detailed knowledge of the pharmaceutical research and development process. Specific knowledge of Pfizer's approaches within Worldwide Research and Development a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Click Here To Apply Now
Desired Skills and Expertise
Salary / package