Data Science DevOps
Data Science DevOps
Tired, depressed, and feeling like your data’s not big enough? We can help. Capital One – a top 10 US bank that is on a mission to use technology to bring ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking – needs data engineers to power its big-data transformation. In this role, you’ll use your experience with enterprise data platforms and big data technologies to work side-by-side with product owners and other agile team members building our next generation of analytic capabilities.
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. As one of the nation’s top 10 banks, we offer a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared Values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
Twenty-five years after Capital One was started it’s still led by its founder, and we have a mission to change banking for *good*. Be ready to join a community of the smartest folks you’ve ever met, who see the customer first, and want to use their data skills to make a difference.
• Building efficient storage protocols for unstructured data, and data warehousing solutions for structured analytics
• Collaborating with other agile team members to create / enhance new data management applications and tools
• Using MapReduce frameworks such as Hadoop and Hive
• Determining your level of effort to develop code
• Writing/performing unit tests and conducting reviews with other team members to make sure your code is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for performance
• Maintaining records of revisions to ensure code is understandable, simple, and clean
• Working in and maintaining an automated build / continuous integration environment
• Providing support of previously released code as needed
• You geek out over obscure sports statistics. You track the last time your favorite band played a certain song. Nate Silver asks you who’s going to win the next election. You love data
• You get excited about using large data sets, some of them slightly messy, to answer real-world questions
• You enjoy being on cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering solutions on an aggressive schedule
• You care about finding refined solutions to complex coding challenges and helping the entire team meet its commitments
• You enjoy learning new technologies and mentoring more junior developers
• Humor and fun are a part of your natural flow
Your experience/the Basic Qualifications:
• BS in Computer Science with 3+ years professional experience
• 3+ year in-depth experience with the Hadoop stack (MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Hbase)
• 3+ years experience with NoSQL implementation (Cassandra preferred)
• 3+ years experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Java, Shell)
• 3+ years experience with Relational Data Base Systems and SQL
• 5+ years experience designing, developing, and implementing ETL
• 4+ years experience with UNIX/Linux including basic commands, shell scripting, and system administration/configuration
• Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Maven, Jenkins)
• Experience with test-driven development and unit testing frameworks (xUnit, jUnit, Nose)
• Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools or underlying algorithms
• Experience working independently in a fast paced, unstructured environment
• Robust portfolio of shipped code on GitHub and/or open source contributions
• 2+ years experience directly managing full-time employees
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please.
Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Desired Skills and Expertise
2 - 5 years
Salary / package