Freight Broker( Job Number: 1410100)
Do you have experience with freight brokerage?
Are you highly self-motivated?
Are you extremely strong on the phone to uncover new business?
We’re a company built by an entrepreneur and we think and act like it every day. If you want to spend your time building your book of business with solid leads, a support staff behind you taking care of your customers around the clock then consider a career with Penske Logistics as a freight broker.
The Freight Broker is primarily responsible for connecting shippers with responsible and contracted motor carriers. The Freight Broker will obtain and negotiate rates with clients, manage the movements of goods and resolve any issues that may occur with the shipment.
Freight Broker candidates for this position will be highly motivated, organized and problem solvers, with strong people skills and the ability to manage their time and resources effectively. These professionals have to be able to multitask and keep track of several shipments for numerous clients. Freight agents and brokers also need strong computer and communication skills.
-Lead freight sales and sustain business performance by adding and retaining new customers to achieve set revenue goals.
-Identify, qualify, obtain and develop relationships with prospective customers through the Internet or other lead generating opportunities.
-Identify services and pricing that meet customer expectations and business objectives.
-Maintain solid understanding of current market conditions and business trends to create offers that will increase company margins.
-Track and Maintain sales activity metrics and ensure that weekly/monthly sales quotas are met.
-Develop solid relationships with customers by providing them with excellent customer service.
-Manage account relationships as the primary point-of-contact for day-to-day needs, including ongoing communications, coordination of customers’ needs.
-Monitor shipments and resolve issues through quality check and other follow-ups.
-Develop, manage and contract a network of new carriers to ensure adequate capacity for their assigned market.
-Negotiate with carriers to meet margin requirements and ensure maximum profitability.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Supply Chain Management preferred.
- Two (2) plus years of sales experience with a transaction oriented brokerage, or other related business.
- Proven track record in cold calling and sales prospecting.
- Inside sales or customer service experience in a business-to-business environment.
- Successful track record of building relationships with stakeholders or customers that have resulted in high customer satisfaction.
- Ability to meet & exceed weekly and monthly sales goals.
- Knowledge of US traffic lanes a plus.
- Knowledge of equipment (trucks, trailers, etc) preferred.
- Must be able to work with other departments to increase overall productivity for the company.
- Strong analytical and presentation skills, written/oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with a sense of urgency while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of enthusiasm, professionalism and motivation.
- Skill in the operation of MS Office software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to work at the specific location with the required schedule and travel if necessary.
- Required to complete a Penske employment application and submit to a reference verification (to include past employment and education).
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear.
Headquartered in Reading, Pa., Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies throughout the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing, and international freight forwarding and carrier management.
Visit http://www.penskelogistics.com/ to learn more.
Check out Penske's recent blogs about freight brokers.
check out our recent blog posts:
Desired Skills and Expertise
2 - 5 years
Salary / package